Roppongi Street Cats

Dec 21st, 2009

Small cats and dogs are popular pets in Japan because they are easier to accommodate in small apartments. Often you will see some cats that live in parks and get fed by passersby. I am not sure whether these cats were owned by someone or just lived in the Tokyo Midtown Roppongi park.

King of the Midtown jungle.

King of the Midtown jungle.

Time to go find something to eat maybe.

Time to go find something to eat maybe.

This cat was a bit shy, but very cute.

This cat was a bit shy, but very cute. Can you see me from behind here?

Ready to jump.

Ready to jump.

Doing some stretches before heading out for a big night on the town.

Doing some stretches before heading out for a big night on the town.

yep, go to get all the way down.

yep, got to get all the way down.

ok, getting hungry now.

ok, getting hungry now.

Time for a quick nap before going out later.

Well, maybe just time for a quick nap before going out later.

The perfect place to sit on a Sunday afternoon.

The perfect place to sit on a Sunday afternoon.

yep, it's a tough life being a MidTown cat.

yep, its a tough life being a Midtown cat.

Is someone coming?

Is someone coming?

Another cat hides down in the bushes.

Another cat hides down in the bushes.

Getting ready to pounce.

Getting ready to pounce.

Are you still there?

Are you still there?

Padding through the grass.

Padding through the grass.

Nice gardens with rock wall and plants. Perfect for the cats.

Nice gardens with rock wall and plants. Perfect for the cats.

ok, I see you down there. What are you doing in my area?

ok, I see you down there. What are you doing in my area?

I liked the background yellow and sky blue behind this shot. Contrasted well with the cat.

mmm, let me check, no bikes, no scooters. nothing mentioned about cats. check ok!!

ok, time to head for the big city.

ok, time to head for the big city.

Got to get home by 23:00. Early night for the MidTown cats.

Got to get home by 23:00. Clear that one with the missus! Early night for the MidTown cats.

12 thoughts on “Roppongi Street Cats”

via @Shibuya246: Roppongi Cats, Japan Photo-Post | Shibuya246 http://bt.io/CFCg The king of His Jungle. Doesn’t animal control try to round them up.It seems like when cats get older all they do is eat and sleep. It looks likes the cat was bothered by you following it around. How long were you following it? and the other one was hiding in the bushes. at least they have somewhere safe to go. After he did all of his stretching needed a quick nap to replenish the energy used in stretching. :)A nice end of the week article.
    Conbini Monday next?
    Have a great week, Boku no tomodachi.

I was following him? The cat kept following me ^^. Just kidding. I think they actually liked people being around. πŸ™‚

2. Shockerz says:

I like cats but wouldn’t want to own one because feeding and keeping it safe is a problem for me. I like especially this type of cat due to the stripes it have seem so cute.

It is difficult to travel when you have pets, but there are positives too. Having communal cats like these in the park can be nice πŸ™‚

3. snoeksen says:

I think I saw one of those cats back in October, when I stopped for a lunch break in the Midtown park. As soon as I opened my sandwich the cats came closer to check out if I had something to eat for them. Here is a picture I took of them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/snoeksen/4051584640/in/set-72157622414960773/

I think that is the same one. great πŸ™‚

4. lithiumangel says:

There are some really great pictures in this little outing ! I love it, especially number 2 where he seems to be coming towards you.
    Interestingly enough; just like Snoeksen mentioned I also saw the exacty same cat over numerous trips to Tokyo in a year’s time.
    This particular cat is an orange big one and can be found at the bench to the right of the entrance to the pond area of Ueno Koen.
    The last time i saw him during my latest trip in mid-November he seemed to have little ones with him πŸ™‚
    The cute thing about this guy is; for some reason, this cat must have had a camera-radar built in.
    It would close it`s eyes as soon as I point the lens towards it, but pointing the lens elsewhere it would re-open it`s eyes again

Here he is , in all his eye-closing glory !
    P.S I love the upload function

[img]http://shibuya246.com/wp-content/upload/ueno orange neko.jpg[/img]

Thanks. These cats were easy to take as they were so friendly. Glad you like the upload function. It’s nice to see other people’s pictures as well.

5. Smithy says:

Nice photos, cats can make such great photo subjects and with the backgrounds and lighting these look superb! ^^

6. Neksus says:

#5&#6 are lucky shots. I always miss mine. Except sleep time and eat time.
    Gr8 job vo… (I read this in a forum, couldn’t resist).

7. johnkent says:

Great photos. You’ve got a lot of experience. What lense did you use?

Thanks πŸ™‚ For the cats I was using an 85mm lens by Nikon, set at f/1.4 The ISO was on auto and came out at 800 for most shots. For other photos I will use a 50mm lens and a 70-300mm lens. The 70-300mm is more for street shots.