Image default

Conbini Monday Wk39

Some Wantan noodles from ace cook. The pig character seems familiar but I can't remember where I have seen it before.

It was a cold today in Tokyo today, and at night the rain turned to snow. I doubt it will settle and be there tomorrow, but it certainly made the evening colder than normal.

Family Mart have the regular supply of coffee drinks, and they also have their own range of juices. The mango smoothie on the right looks like the one for me.
More juices, this one is strawberry. All the packaging makes the goods look more attractive to buy.
I was surprised at how many empty shelves there were waiting for new products. The store manager told me that the stock was just about to arrive, maybe in another hour or so.
Another empty shelf waiting for new products.
Another empty shelf waiting for new products.
These whipped custards looked quite tasty. I liked the shape they made on the top of them.
Quite a large area set aside here for the new products about to come in.
Quite a large area set aside here for the new products about to come in.
People were buying their marukaburi sushi ready for Feb 3 (Wed) and Setsubun.
People were buying their marukaburi sushi ready for Feb 3 (Wed) and Setsubun.
A poster showing the marukaburi sushi. Are you buying one this year?
A poster showing the marukaburi sushi. Are you buying one this year?

My visit to the conbini was a late one today, due to some work commitments and the weather getting colder. I kept waiting for it to warm up before I stepped outside ^_^. Do you normally go out in all weather or prefer to wait for a time in the day when its warmer?

Related posts

Conbini Monday Wk11

Shibuya246

Conbini Monday Wk78

Shibuya246

Conbini Monday – Week 1 (コンビニマンデー)

Shibuya246

18 comments

Renechong February 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Wantan noodles are huge in Malaysia. I’m sure that product would be a hit if they have it over here. I would definitely get one of those.

shibuya246 February 3, 2010 at 2:59 am

Maybe they should start sending the ace cook pig over there 🙂

Leyla Cavusoglu February 1, 2010 at 10:55 pm

lol, lucky sushi..

Aux February 1, 2010 at 11:07 pm

The drinks are my favourite part of the conbini – so many choices! I just want to grab one of almost everything (except the plain milk – おいしい牛乳??? おいしくないよ!). I could go some of that strawberry milk right now… though I’m confused as to why they put scoops of ice cream on the packaging. False advertising, methinks.

shibuya246 February 3, 2010 at 3:02 am

So many great drinks. Another good reason to visit the conbini 🙂

Andrea Watt February 2, 2010 at 5:42 am

I would be willing to brave the elements to taste that custard! It is going to be about 32 deg C in Melbourne today so I will think of all those in Japan while I am walking in the sun. There is something magical about snow though and unfortunately it very rarely snows around the city and suburbs here.

Brad Kruth February 2, 2010 at 7:28 am

The ichigo milk drink toward the top totally looks like it says “Famine Cafe” in English on it.

shibuya246 February 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

close, I think it is “Famima Cafe”, short for Family Mart Cafe 🙂

whipcracker February 2, 2010 at 7:34 am

RT @tweetmeme Conbini Monday Wk39, Japan Conbini Monday http://bit.ly/aZZ7wp Sushi is not really sold in our conbinis in my neck of the woods. Just the regular sandwiches,salads and fruit things. But there is an endless supply of drinks, soda, alcholic beverages,milk products and juices.The 7-11 in my neighborhood didn’t even advertise the Domo-kun drink special properly. Were supposed to have character straws, nope just some metal type, generic straw, was very lame. Only thing decent was the cup. Wish our conbinis could be more like yours. Always a great variety.
I would normally stay in if the weather was bad, but if you got to go out, you just gotta go no matter what.

shibuya246 February 3, 2010 at 3:01 am

No domo-kun? What is the world coming to. Take care and stay warm 🙂

lithiumangel February 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm

In Holland the weather has been a massive amounts of snow for the last few weeks; usually resulting in very slippery pedestrian roads when the snow gets crushed by people walking on it all day under freezing temperatures; so like Whipcracker said.. when you gots to go, you gots to go 🙂

Aside from that the Wantan from ace cook looks cute 🙂
There’s no marukaburi sushi in regular conbini’s over here, our regular conbini’s have those tiny sushi’s , like their 1/3 the size of a normal roll ? I hate those personally, and their always made somewhere else than the conbini itself so freezed/cooled for at least a day before you eat it.

There’s a small city just outside of Amsterdam called Amstelveen, houses the majority of the Japanese people living here in this country, i’m sure if I walk around there I can find marukaburi sushi tough 🙂

shibuya246 February 3, 2010 at 3:01 am

frozen sushi does not sound right 🙂 You need to come to Tokyo and enjoy a good meal.

HELLOSHEENA February 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I’d rather wait till weather is good.

Tristan February 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Im amazed by the empty shelves…very unorganised!!!

Great photos as usual

shibuya246 February 3, 2010 at 3:00 am

Thanks. Yes, the empty shelves surprised me. When I went back the next day the shelves were full of new products. Maybe it should be Conbini Tuesday to catch the full shelves 😉

munkhjapan February 5, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Just wondering what kind of tech stuff does the conbini’s there have. Can you capture some pictures on the next conbini monday.

shibuya246 February 5, 2010 at 11:03 pm

sure. Do you mean the cash register machines, ATMs, ticket machines etc or stuff they sell? They don’t sell much tech stuff but there are a few machines in store for customers to use. In fact, I was going to try and explain about the new machines they are trying out in Shibuya convenience stores for allowing people to get local records, like birth records, proof of identity etc. Looks like the City Hall folk have worked out its more convenience to take the services to where the people are. 🙂 great idea.

munkhjapan February 14, 2010 at 2:26 pm

the conbini’s here and there are really different i’m imagining. Hmm maybe I’ll do a post on the circle K I always go. by the way what conbini do you cover?.
those new machine sounds interesting, I wonder whats next for the conbinis.