Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Japanese Food

19 7,656
Yudofu
Yudofu. Hot Tofu. Good on a cold night
Prawns from Setonaikai, eaten with the shells on. Very good and crispy!
Prawns from Setonaikai, eaten with the shells on. Very good and crispy!
Egg plant and asparagus in tempura style
Egg plant and asparagus in tempura style
Sashimi from Setonaikai hidden in onions. This tasted delicious
Sashimi from Setonaikai hidden in onions. This tasted delicious
Kuri
Kuri
Octopus
Octopus
Yakitori from Tori Tori in Tokushima
Yakitori from Tori Tori in Tokushima
Camel in yakitori style (without the tori)
Camel in yakitori style (without the tori)
Cha-han
Cha-han
Prawn pizza in Tokushima. Quite a different look for a pizza
Prawn pizza in Tokushima. Quite a different look for a pizza
Curry Udon
Curry Udon
Japanese style steak
Japanese style steak
Wakame Udon at Naruto Bridge
Wakame Udon at Naruto Bridge

What is your favorite Japanese food?

1. perdomot says

I had Yudofu in Kyoto and its so good!

2. perdomot says

I got hooked on curry ramen last trip.

3. perdomot says

Great pics man! You should do more articles like this. My fave food in Tokyo is the ramen at Sunshine 60 store called Chukasoba Aoba. It was my first real ramen and still tastes the best to me. Try it if you get the chance.

1. Shibuya246 says

I might try that when I am next in Ikebukuro. I really enjoyed the food in Shikoku. The pictures remind me of how good it was πŸ™‚ I might start a weekly “What am I Eating” series that captures my iphone lunches etc. When I go on a trip and I have my Lumix camera the photos just look a lot better than the iPhone.

1. perdomot says

I think a “What am I Eating” series would be great as one of the things I miss most about Japan is the food. I love the Combini series because there is so much stuff I want to taste that doesn’t exist in the US. The yudofu I ate was in Kyoto at a place called Junsei which is famous for yudofu but in the US, nobody knows about it although they do know tofu.

4. Neksus says

I shouldn’t have seen this… ^^

1. jeniferlopes064 says

Hi,
      I am a new user in this website.
      ———
      chocolates

5. Tristan says

Oh man…………that looks so good!

6. Justin Kunst says

LOVE your blog. Made it my homepage! My favorite Japanese food is miso soup and tamago, I love to make it for breakfast when I don’t have a shake. My wife and I had a guest over today actually and I served him home made miso soup and tamago, he said it ate like a king!

I do have a Japanese food question for you, is it traditional to use coconut milk / juice in dishes?

Justin Kunst .com
    @justinkunst

1. Shibuya246 says

Fantastic to hear that πŸ™‚ I haven’t heard of coconut milk in many dishes, but I am sure there are some. Miso stock, dashi, ponzu, mirin are common ingredients for a lot of things. I am not an expert so much on cooking the dishes, but love to eat πŸ™‚ I am thinking of taking cooking classes soon, which could lead to some interesting block posts. “Adventures of shibuya246 in a cooking class”. Keep tuned

1. Justin Kunst says

That would be SO COOL to see an expose on your cooking class in Japan. Thanks for the reply!

Also – Thanks perdomot, you are right about the thai dishes using a lot of coconut mulk. I guess it’s not a very common Japanese Ingredient!

2. perdomot says

Coconut milk is used in Thai dishes from what I’ve seen.

7. tuneintokyo says

Advice – do not look at this page when you’re starving in the middle of the night like myself…. drooling over the takitori

8. ikon says

How was the camel and where did you get it at? I’d like to try some next time I’m in Tokyo. Also, what is it called?

1. Shibuya246 says

Camel wasn’t really that tasty. Camel in Japanese is “rakuda”. I got it in Tokushima on my visit to Shikoku.

9. Tg.Hazu says

japanese foods really look tasty. i just able to sushi at my place. so envy of you.

10. johnwhite says

Japanees food is very good in taste.It is really very tasty.