Japanese Food

Oct 9th, 2010

On my recent trip to Shikoku I had some wonderful food, particularly produce from the Setonaikai. The taste of everything was fresh and the service was great. Often the food looked so good I ate it before taken a picture. Here are some items that I captured before eating them.

Yudofu

Yudofu. Hot Tofu. Good on a cold night

Prawns from Setonaikai, eaten with the shells on. Very good and crispy!

Prawns from Setonaikai, eaten with the shells on. Very good and crispy!

Egg plant and asparagus in tempura style

Egg plant and asparagus in tempura style

Sashimi from Setonaikai hidden in onions. This tasted delicious

Sashimi from Setonaikai hidden in onions. This tasted delicious

Kuri

Kuri

Octopus

Octopus

Yakitori from Tori Tori in Tokushima

Yakitori from Tori Tori in Tokushima

Camel in yakitori style (without the tori)

Camel in yakitori style (without the tori)

Cha-han

Cha-han

Prawn pizza in Tokushima. Quite a different look for a pizza

Prawn pizza in Tokushima. Quite a different look for a pizza

Curry Udon

Curry Udon

Japanese style steak

Japanese style steak

Wakame Udon at Naruto Bridge

Wakame Udon at Naruto Bridge

What is your favorite Japanese food?

19 thoughts on “Japanese Food”

1. perdomot says:

I had Yudofu in Kyoto and its so good!

2. perdomot says:

I got hooked on curry ramen last trip.

3. perdomot says:

Great pics man! You should do more articles like this. My fave food in Tokyo is the ramen at Sunshine 60 store called Chukasoba Aoba. It was my first real ramen and still tastes the best to me. Try it if you get the chance.

1. Shibuya246 says:

I might try that when I am next in Ikebukuro. I really enjoyed the food in Shikoku. The pictures remind me of how good it was πŸ™‚ I might start a weekly “What am I Eating” series that captures my iphone lunches etc. When I go on a trip and I have my Lumix camera the photos just look a lot better than the iPhone.

1. perdomot says:

I think a “What am I Eating” series would be great as one of the things I miss most about Japan is the food. I love the Combini series because there is so much stuff I want to taste that doesn’t exist in the US. The yudofu I ate was in Kyoto at a place called Junsei which is famous for yudofu but in the US, nobody knows about it although they do know tofu.

4. Neksus says:

I shouldn’t have seen this… ^^

1. jeniferlopes064 says:

Hi,
      I am a new user in this website.
      ———
      chocolates

5. Tristan says:

Oh man…………that looks so good!

6. Justin Kunst says:

LOVE your blog. Made it my homepage! My favorite Japanese food is miso soup and tamago, I love to make it for breakfast when I don’t have a shake. My wife and I had a guest over today actually and I served him home made miso soup and tamago, he said it ate like a king!

I do have a Japanese food question for you, is it traditional to use coconut milk / juice in dishes?

Justin Kunst .com
    @justinkunst

1. Shibuya246 says:

Fantastic to hear that πŸ™‚ I haven’t heard of coconut milk in many dishes, but I am sure there are some. Miso stock, dashi, ponzu, mirin are common ingredients for a lot of things. I am not an expert so much on cooking the dishes, but love to eat πŸ™‚ I am thinking of taking cooking classes soon, which could lead to some interesting block posts. “Adventures of shibuya246 in a cooking class”. Keep tuned

1. Justin Kunst says:

That would be SO COOL to see an expose on your cooking class in Japan. Thanks for the reply!

Also – Thanks perdomot, you are right about the thai dishes using a lot of coconut mulk. I guess it’s not a very common Japanese Ingredient!

2. perdomot says:

Coconut milk is used in Thai dishes from what I’ve seen.

7. tuneintokyo says:

Advice – do not look at this page when you’re starving in the middle of the night like myself…. drooling over the takitori

8. ikon says:

How was the camel and where did you get it at? I’d like to try some next time I’m in Tokyo. Also, what is it called?

1. Shibuya246 says:

Camel wasn’t really that tasty. Camel in Japanese is “rakuda”. I got it in Tokushima on my visit to Shikoku.

9. Tg.Hazu says:

japanese foods really look tasty. i just able to sushi at my place. so envy of you.

10. johnwhite says:

Japanees food is very good in taste.It is really very tasty.