Capsule Inn, Shibuya

Jul 22nd, 2010

Capsule Inns or hotels are well known in Japan for providing a place to stay the night at low cost, without taking up a lot of space. I stayed at one recently and thoroughly enjoyed my time. If you have never tried one I encourage you to give it a go.

All of the capsules lined up. I was on the top floor and had to climb up the ladder.

You can see it is very compact.

You can see it is very compact.

My headphone set for the tv and radio.

My headphone set for the tv and radio.

Curtain closed ready for bed. It really was quiet and cozy.

Curtain closed ready for bed. It really was quiet and cozy.

Instructions on how to use the capsule.

Instructions on how to use the capsule.

Here is my TV inside the cubicle.

Here is my TV inside the cubicle.

A better view of how narrow the capsule is. It actually was very comfortable and not at all claustrophobic.

Bathroom faciities.

Bathroom faciities.

Accesories at the ready.

Accesories at the ready.

The view of Shibuya from the top.

The view of Shibuya from the top.

Looking down from the bathroom

Looking down from the bathroom

Inside the locker changing rooms

Inside the locker changing rooms

Or was that Rocker room? I couldn't find any of the band members, but I think there were some hard rockers around.

If anyone wants to try it out, here is the name and number.

If anyone wants to try it out, here is the name and number.

11 thoughts on “Capsule Inn, Shibuya”

1. Kesenaitsumi says:

It doesn’t seem bad at all. How much was your stay there?

2. perdomot says:

Thought about these places but there are better alternatives for the same price or lower where you get an actual room. I stayed at a place called Aizuya Inn where you get your own small room.

3. tornadoes28 says:

I’m 191 cm tall. I wonder if I could fit in the capsule?

4. zonjineko says:

Thx – great to see inside a capsule hotel. Actually looks a reasonable place to stay for a quick trip with no family. Any idea of costs and opening hours? Normal hotels seem to check-in at 2pm and out by 10am.

5. katiemuffett says:

I much prefer that to the pod hotel I stayed in in London. We paid for a cabin to ourselves and to be honest, it was sort of an awful compromise between a real hotel room and one of these capsules. Much better to be out in communal areas most of the time, and only get in your capsule to basically fall asleep.

Though in the pod hotel’s defense, the rainforest shower and overall facilities were excellent. But I would prefer to use them out in the open like this. Thank you for the photos as I’ve never been able to see a realistic view inside these!

6. perdomot says:

Here’s a link to a video of a capsule hotel:

cool. thanks 🙂

7. I have always be fascinated with the capsules. Do they have themed ones?

1. perdomot says:

In Kyoto, I saw a ryokan capsule hotel which was interesting.

That does sound interesting.

8. danielmardjuadi says:

it`s feels like staying in space airship i think…lol

but it`s cool!…wanna try it someday 🙂