Food in Japan

A spinach omlette at eggsnthings Harajuku, followed by a short stack of pancakes. Very tasty but a bit pricey.

There are so many great foods in Japan to choose from. At close proximity you can find French, Italian, Spanish, US, Chinese, Indian and many more. Here is a quick selection of some eats I had yesterday.

Cant beat the good old sakura mochi for the perfect combination with a cup of tea. Some scribbles from my upcoming project here on the page.

The scribble notes here refer to a open source project I have been working with Nick Ramsay, the founder of JapanSoc.com. Together with a group of keen individuals we are creating a new social bookmarking / content management software platform that others can use. It is similar to Drupal, Joomla and WordPress allowing users to make their own content filled web sites without having to create their own software.

The JapanSoc.com site is already running on version 1.1.3 of the software, whilst the demo site shows a very different looking template style. Assembla.com have recently written an article about the project on their site.

More on this with updates later.

Even the cookies are not plain. The ones below are made from golden sesame seeds. Sesame seed is a popular ingredient in Japan and is said to be very healthy.

Rilakkuma is looking a bit grubby here. Wonder if he would like to take a bath. These sesame seed chocolate cookies appeared to be a health alternative for both of us.

Do you use sesame seed when cooking?

13 thoughts on “Food in Japan”

1. Renechong says:

everything looks so good. I’m feeling hungry already *drools*

1. Neksus says:

I’d like one of those sakura rolls… feeling hungry too.

2. Neksus says:

Not to bother you, but I’d really like to know a couple of things:

years ago a friend brought me some sakura-cha, is there any good brand to buy?
    same for sakura mochi, any good brand?

My brother is going to Japan and he’ll than send it by land mail to me πŸ™‚

Thanks for advice πŸ™‚

I haven’t heard of any particular brand for the sakura tea, but if your brother is here in April there should be lots around. As for sakura mochi, I am not sure they will last if you send them. Normally they have to be eaten on the day they are made or very close to it. Hope your brother gets you lots of goodies on his trip. πŸ™‚

1. Neksus says:

Thanks a lot!
        For sakura mochi he’ll send me pics… hehe, I’ll be reading past conbini mondays for a full loot πŸ™‚

The raid is about to begin!

sounds great. I will be waiting to see your pics also.

1. Neksus says:

Sure, but I don’t think he’ll take back a Rilakkuma… πŸ™ his wife is a Hello Kitty adept.
            I’ll be back as soon as I get the stuff in my hands.

Let’s cross fingers. Btw, I was almost askimg him for a Pudding Shake, but after reading about Pudding “Jake”, I think I’ll trick him to try one if he forgets to get me something πŸ˜‰

3. LOVE Rillakuma there. lol

My 2 favorite things, Chocolate chip cookies and Rilakkuma. And added sesame seeds ooh boy.
    by:whipcracker

http://bit.ly/bXgx3x Not a big fan of spinach or omlets. Like my eggs sunny side up. Being able to dunk the toast in the yokes. But yes from everything you’ve shown ys there is a big variety of cusines to choose from. How was the food from the resturant? And yes poor Rilakkuma does look a bit grubby, hit the showers young one.

6. Shockerz says:

Foods are also abundant in Malaysia and you can practically find any style or taste you want but I would not guarantee about the cleanliness here compare to Japan.

7. salvidali says:

. . . Julia Child said that an omelet does not have stuff inside, the veges, meat, whatever are added to the egg as a garnish – oh yeh, shouldn’t take more than one or two minutes to cook the egg(s) . . .

8. Ben Gentry jr says:

This looks very good to me