Japan Trains

Mar 5th, 2010

Japan has some great trains. Living in Tokyo and traveling on the Yamanote Line everyday it is easy to forgot how good they are. When on the train today I heard some people from out of town talking about how beautiful the trains in Tokyo were and decided to take some photos to remind myself.

The driver cab of the Yamanote Line heading for Tokyo Station. Really like the place drivers have reserved for putting their pocket watches. When changing shift, they remove the pocket watch and the new driver puts his in the place. Nice touch of the old with new.

Although the Yamanote Line generally stays on the same track all the way round the loop, at the flick of a switch it could be diverted to other platforms.

The Yamanote Line train approaches the Station.

The Yamanote Line train approaches the Station.

The Shinkansen takes a peak from behind the Tokaido Line. The old and the new. I can easily guess who will win this race.

Shinkansen 700 series heading to Tokyo Station. Very sleek long nose cone.

Shinkansen N700 series heading to Tokyo Station. Very sleek long nose cone.

As the Shinkansen passes by, can you see the monorail coming in frmo Haneda Airport at the top of the picture?

The Tokaido Line train heading South towards the coast.

The Tokaido Line train heading South towards the coast.

The Tokaido Line is going to celebrate its 120th year anniversary in July this year.

Shinkansen passes by the Minatoku sports center.

The 700 Shinkansen passes by the Minatoku sports center.

One of the many overhead electric lines.

One of the many overhead electric lines.

The button is pressed by the rear cab driver for the Tohoku Line. Time for everyone to jump on before and head home.

Female drivers on the Yamanote and other train lines are not uncommon now. It is good to see a mix of different people being employed, male, female, old, young and maybe even some foreign in the future.

The Yamanote Line leaves the platform.

The Yamanote Line leaves the platform.

21 thoughts on “Japan Trains”

1. zichi says:

nice train pic’s

Thanks. I have been stuck in the apartment all week with a cold, so feeling better today and the warm weather, it was a good excuse to get out πŸ™‚

1. Kris says:

Egads! You beat me at getting better :p I think I’m just well enough today that I stopped coughing up crap. Though, I have been going to classes for the past week πŸ™‚

2. Yann Chauvel says:

Remembering my 2005’s trip.. Always impressed by your pics ! Nice

3. lithiumangel says:

Woah ! Awesome pictures this round ! I never knew they put the watch in there; tough i have frequently seen drivers with that watch as they walk to or from a train. I also personally love the fact that the JR uniforms are pretty cool, and they keep them in such perfect condition; never saw any JR staff with a wrinkled uniform.

I also love the pictures of the drivers getting in and out of the train; knowing the Tokyo train shedule very well; you wouldn’t have had to wait long between those shots on the stations.

If you like trains; a nice way to see the love Japanese have for them is to visit Little TGV in Akihabara. It’s a cafe where everything is dedicated to the love of trains, every drink on the menu is named after some train line from new or old, the staff dress up as drivers; some are actually drivers working there to share their love part time at the cafe; or aspiring to be them.
    Very interesting place to visit, and it’s a welcome change from the maid cafe overload πŸ™‚

I would like to try that out. I will look out for that cafe next time I go to Akiba. thx πŸ™‚

4. MarijnRongen says:

I’m always amazed by the trains in Tokyo. A nice mix of shapes and sizes and always clean as a whistle! In the Netherlands it’s quite rare to see a train so clean.

5. Neksus says:

D700 back in action… πŸ™‚ Hope the cold gave you some satori on photography.
    I have the feeling of a richer picture.

Arigatou.

6. locohama says:

Good stuff as usual! Love the pics

The Shinkasen by a nose.
    by:whipcracker

Looks like a High Tech missle heading straight for you.
    by:whipcracker.

Japan Trains, Japan Photo-Post http://bit.ly/aDfzpv A great display of cleanliness and on time preformance. Japan should be very proud. I know i am repeating myself but gotta make it over there someday, and meet up w/ you. Would like to collect a train from everyline there. do they still sell them at the stations? And do they still sell the bottles of tea w/the train covers.
    As always great pics.
    Have a great weekend.
    ja mata ne.

10. Kris says:

Oh no πŸ™ How will I know which one is the yamanote line? I can’t read much Kanji yet x.x Does it say on the side of the train what it is … either in Hiragana or Katakana?

1. lithiumangel says:

All the train lines are color coded; as well as the name should be written in plain romanji above the tracks or in the stations , signs leading to the respective tracks.
      No worries man πŸ™‚

Yamanote line is green. You should find it really easy. It is well labeled in English at stations and on platform. good luck πŸ™‚

11. Ann says:

I am always struck by how clean Japan is compared to the US or UK rail system.

1. Neksus says:

You can say Japan Vs. The World.

Litter is hardly visible.

12. HELLOSHEENA says:

Someday I will get to ride those trains.