Japan Festival Food

Taking a half look inside the beer tent. Many salarymen already downing a few welcome after-work drinks.

There are often mini festivals on in Japan around the station area. This one was a couple of days ago, but I forgot to put the pictures up. I was passing by on my way home and saw the stalls set up for okonomiyaki and takoyaki, as well as the salaraymen entering the beer tent.

Some of these were taken with the iPhone and a couple with the Nikon.

The okonomiyaki tent gets my attention as I contemplate what is for dinner

I hope these cute tako are not about to be on the grill.

Preparing the Okonomiyaki. Hiroshima style?

The okonomiyaki being cooked. Looks very tasty. I'll have 2 please.

The tent set up for Japanese Sake and all things alchoholic. Beer seemed to be the main order on the menu.

Taking a look down one of the dark backstreets near the station. Luckily Japan is still a relatively safe country.

More salarymen either thinking about joining the festival or maybe finding somewhere else to eat. Tokyo Tower beckons in the distance.

What’s your favorite food at festivals? Do you like the takoyaki/okomiyaki style or more the yakitori/kushiyaki and beer?

18 thoughts on “Japan Festival Food”

1. lithiumangel says:

Looks quite nice ! I prefer Takoyaki/Okonomiyaki for festival food myself since you can get Yakitori/beer combo at any of the one BILLION izakaya’s any minute of the day ^_^ There’s definitly less Okonomiyaki places than Izakaya’s in my experience.
    Hmmm.. now that i’ve seen the pictures i think i’ll have some Okonomiyaki today myself (We have one place in Amsterdam that serve it. All 3 styles too)

[img]http://shibuya246.com/wp-content/upload/24.jpg[/img]
    My favorite: The Osaka butatama in the making ! =^_^=

Now I am ready to eat 🙂

2. Neksus says:

This is over immoral…

I’m craving for an okonomiyaki since Ranma 1/2!

Tell it was delicious at least 🙂

3. Tristan says:

Yet another thing I miss from Japan
    [img]http://shibuya246.com/wp-content/upload/792-101_0832.jpg[/img]

drool…..

good to see some photos being uploaded. hope you get chance to eat another one of those soon 🙂

1. Tristan says:

Unfortunately not until 2011 unless I can find somewhere a bit more local ie Sydney!!
        I’m sure there would be somewhere in Sydney that serves up okonomiyaki as my local Japanese doesnt 🙁
        (I should ask them as a special favour….)

RT @Shibuya246: Japan Festival Food, Japan Living | Shibuya246 http://bt.io/CDUn I have never ever had any of that type of food before. those are things I will definately will have to try once I make it over ther. Seems like the Japanese really don’t need any reason to have a festival. Around here it has to be planned out months in advance. That gentleman walking down the backstreet, just by the looks, as if he doesn’t need anymore to drink. imo. Thank heaven Japan is still realatively safe to walk down the street w/o being bothered at that ime of night. Hope he makes it home ok, looks like he may need a little help.
    Are those tako the mascots, of the festival? They sure are cute. 🙂
    Have a great rest of the weekend.
    Ashita,mata ne.

Any day is a good day for a festival :). The pink tako weren’t really mascots, but just cuddly characters. When you see these two tako heads, though, no doubt what is being served up for dinner 🙂

5. alafista says:

Those Okonomiyaki looks really tasty, especially in the cold weather. I’m always quite fasinated with those cold dark alleys, I heard that sometimes you can find great restaurants hidden in those alleys.

6. Renechong says:

Ooh! Okonomiyaki! Looks really good. Now I’m really really hungry. Which style do you prefer?

I prefer the okonomiyaki. I have been thinking about it all day since I posted this article ^_^.

1. lithiumangel says:

And which style of Okonomiyaki do you prefer ? 😛 I Reckon you’re an Osaka man just like me *lol*
        Tough I do eat the oceasional hiroshima and Negi Yaki styles

Osaka style can be good. I’m not a big monja yaki fan though, more of a traditional okonomiyaki style. I think we need a team blogging post on the different styles available 🙂

7. Neksus says:

Went to see Nodame Cantabile movie?

This post makes me hungry… I wish I could just go out and have one okonomiyaki.
    Life is so unfair at times.

Having tagliatelle alla bolognese, home made. T’was work, but totally worth it.

tagliatelle alla bolognese sounds good. I haven’t seen Nodame yet. maybe tomorrow. I went to Roppongi Midtown today to see illuminations and take some pics.

1. Neksus says:

Looking forward to see ’em.

I hope nodame gets available soon, would be fun to see it on the 25th.
        Yes, it was delicious. With fine wine. This sounds like retaliation for the food article, sorry 🙂
        Today is great, so riding the wave…

upload a photo for us to see? oh, maybe you ate it all already 😉

1. Neksus says:

I should let the sauce rest until the 25th… but, with full spirit of sacrifice I could prepare a mini dish for you all to see.
            But not opening another bottle of chianti, today got me high in spirits 🙂 and bottle empty!