Meiji 56 Chocolates

Feel like I should buy one of each
Feel like I should buy one of each of these chocolates.

Most of us will know Meiji Chocolate from the chocolate bars you can buy in the convenience stores. Meiji have chocolate makers for a long time, but recently opened a chocolate cafe and started a range of boutique chocolates. They call the brand 56Chocolates.

Hard to pick which one to eat first. Maybe try the Honey chocolate
Hard to pick which one to eat first. Maybe try the Honey chocolate or wasanbon?

The cafe is located at Shinbashi and serves 100% chocolate all day long.

Taken from the Meiji Chocolate56 brochure. Looks like a nice cafe
Taken from the Meiji 56Chocolates brochure. Looks like a nice cafe
Plenty of choice. Reading all 56 varieties takes a long time.
Plenty of choice. Reading all 56 flavors takes a long time.
Delicious
Delicious
Time for some hot chocolate with those 56 flavors
Time for some hot chocolate to wash down those 56 flavors
Looking, looking, looking. What to buy?
Looking, looking, looking. What to buy?
Each flavor has a number. You can match the numbers to make birthdays, anniversaries etc.

Some of the flavors here are very original. Wasanbon is traditionally used in Japanese sweets not chocolate. Lemon salt, honey, black pepper, jasmine, rose hip, red chilli, soy milk, basil, lavender are just some of the more interesting ones to try.

Number 26, Wasanbon, a Japanese original
Number 26, Wasanbon, a Japanese original
The story board describing each flavor and its origin
The story board describing each flavor and its origin
These were the ones I finally decided to buy.
These were the ones I finally decided to buy.
This is from the website of Meji Chocolate56. Great site to visit when you are hungry.

What’s your favorite chocolate? Are you a Meiji chocolate fan?

20 Comments on this Post

1. ParAbnormal

Mmm those look SO GOOD! I think I’d try the cinnamon first because I LOVE cinnamon! :DDD

2. Renechong

Yummy! they all look so good! and the flavor looks unique too
    I wonder how does lemon salt taste like.

3. whipcracker

RT @Shibuya246: Meiji 56 Chocolates, Japan Food | Shibuya246 http://bt.io/BNBw A chocoholics paradise. :) I wouldn’t mind trying the Rose hips and then the cinnamon flavor. Is it a rich tasting chocolate or a smooth tasting/ I’d go into chocolate overload if i was there.

4. lithiumangel

Meiji chocolate rocks ! Definitly buy em in combini stores but never knew about the boutiques.
    At Shinbashi hmm ? Sounds like another reason to go there aside from the Yurakamone line :P
    I’ll have to check this out !

5. I’m very keen to go to this place and check it out for the old snack blog. I can only imagine how long it’d take me to get through the whole lot though! That being said, I’m not really a fan of Meiji’s consumer-level chocolates. They often have an unpleasant coffee-like aftertaste.

• We’ll wait for your report. Thanks for the sacrifice :)

• Definitely waiting for a report back :)

• Thanks! By the way, my pictures aren’t going to hold a candle to yours! I meant to mention it in my previous comment, but was too self-centered and forgot, but your pictures are always excellent and inspire me to want to go to places I wouldn’t have considered before!

6. This article is against human rights… of those not in Japan.

Well, at my local supermarket they have lots of brands and flavors.
    But the best is when I go to Switzerland, they have lots of odd flavors just beside common chocolate. Now that we are in winter there must be a full display of unusual flavors.

Ahhh, I want some now…

7. This seems interesting for my sweet tooth. Will have to try them someday when I visit Japan.

Although my chocolate standards have always been pampered by being able to readily buy Belgian and Swiss chocolate. Although lately chocolate has been getting rather expensive over here.

8. I love the conbini Meiji chocolates, which are not too hard to find in the U.S. Too bad the chances of the Meiji 56 making it out here are so slim :(

9. salvidali

WAAGH !! chocolate !! sp many kinds XP

10. おいしいそ。。。。the pack was unique, so colourful.