Tokyo Gift Show

The Tokyo Gift Show 2009

The Tokyo Gift Show 2009

I went to the Tokyo Gift Show on Friday and took a look at a few exhibits. It seemed like a lot of companies were licensing characters such as Rilakkuma, Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Pokemon and then producing unique gift products to put in shops and sell online.

Here are a few snaps I took, where photos were allowed. You can’t take photos of most products so no closeups sorry.

Some nice bags and bunnies here

Some nice bags and bunnies here

I am not familiar with Suzy's Zoo. Anybody know more about it?

I am not familiar with Suzy's Zoo. Anybody know more about it?

bath mats, door mats and others. Rilakkuma going well here

bath mats, door mats and others. Rilakkuma going well here

Nothing like a Lamborghini bike to draw the crowd in

Nothing like a Lamborghini bike to draw the crowd in

Rilakkuma headphones. Why not?

Rilakkuma headphones. Why not?

I met up with the President of a mobile phone battery charger and picked up one for my iPhone. This is working great. You can recharge the battery unit and then have it handy when your iPhone battery runs low. You can also charge the unit and your iPhone at the same time with one connection.

Meeting with the President of a great iPhone charging product branded Li-ion

Meeting with the President of a great iPhone charging product branded Li-ion

This is the battery charging unit. It comes in Black and White

This is the battery charging unit. It comes in Black and White

My friend decided to pick up an umbrella that looked like a Japanese sword, (Katana)

We got the ‘ok’ to take some pictures of these cute cameras. They are real film 35mm cameras that are made to look like juice packets.

Cute packaging

Cute packaging

Some of the staff had come up with the great idea of making a vending machine for the juic cameras

Some of the staff had come up with the great idea of making a vending machine for the juice cameras

What's your pick?

What's your pick?

Plenty of Gachapin and Mukku products available

Plenty of Gachapin and Mukku products available

Rilakkuma was everywhere ....

Rilakkuma was everywhere ....

including here

including here

Rilakkuma booked in for 1pm

Rilakkuma booked in for 1pm

You can see the rest of the Rilakkuma photos in this other post.

Rilakkuma in the flesh

Rilakkuma in the flesh

It was an interesting show to visit and always great to be able to get to these venues so quickly and easily.

11 thoughts on “Tokyo Gift Show”

1. Marfil says:

Holly cr*p! Is like a kawai universe condensed in one store! :3

2. Kara says:

Looks like a great show! Suzy’s Zoo has been a popular line of infant/children’s products and stationery for several years in the US. Not sure how far their reach is, but it is interesting to see their products in Japan.

thanks for this. I will keep my eyes out for it here

3. Angie says:

It’s interesting to see new 35mm cameras – especially since I thought they weren’t so popular these days given that cheap digital cameras are everywhere now.

very true. this is not so practical but kinda cute πŸ™‚

4. megan says:

The juice cameras are really adorable! The vending machine for them is a great idea as well. Are they just disposables though?

I thought they were disposables at first, but actually they are real 35mm cameras which require you to manually load in the film. Remember the old film rolls? It took me a while to think back to how they worked.

Once you finish the film roll, you open the camera back and take out the roll for processing. You can then put in a new roll and start shooting again.

Its more of a nostalgic product than anything.

RT @Shibuya246: Tokyo Gift Show, Japan character goods | Shibuya246 http://bt.io/CW9
    Rilakkuma Rocks The Show! ^_^. you know i think he’s kawaii!
    Tell your friend to watch out or i might just steal his umbrella. What’s the cost? just wondering. That would make a great product for you store, or even as a give away. that Lamborghini bike is a keeper also how much?
    It looks like you had a great time there. Just how many more gadgets will they come out for the iphone? Didn’t you already post something about that battery already? I could be here all day comenting on this article some much to talk about .
    Great job, see ya at the next conbini monday. ^_^

The umbrella cost about $35. The bike I forgot to check. I think it was out of my budget for the day. πŸ˜‰

I did put out a quick post about the battery on Danny’s site where I am currently Live Blogging from the iphone.

Rilakkuma is still No.1 and all the companies seemed to agree

6. HELLOSHEENA says:

You are so lucky! I love Rilakkuma and the bike was pretty cool too! Could use a Hello Kitty on it too! lol