Cool Summer Bread

Cool Summer Bread from Andersen Bakery

Cool Summer Bread from Andersen Bakery

Andersen Bakery is my favorite bakery in Japan. I think they are part of the same group as Little Mermaid which have similar products.

The other day I tried this Cool Summer Bread (冷やしパン) from Andersen. I wasn’t sure what to expect at first. I have had toast from frozen bread before and have kept my bread in the fridge also, so I wondered how different the cool bread would be.

The explanation for the cool summer bread. basically 'keep in your fridge'

The explanation for the cool summer bread. basically 'keep in your fridge'

The taste was quite refreshing and the sultanas did seem to taste better cold. The banana cake probably would still beat out the cool bread on a hot summer day.

Andersen Bakery in the Tokyu Foodshow (Nishi-kan basement)

Andersen Bakery in the Tokyu Foodshow (Nishi-kan basement)

Those Denmark sausage rolls look good, or the Tuna France, or Almond Choco Pastry .....

You can buy bread in 4 slices, 5 slices, 6 slices or 8. Like shopping for clothes

Chocolate Orion or Carrot Cake? Tough choice

Chocolate Orion or Carrot Cake? Tough choice

The layout of the store draws you in as much as the sweet smell

The layout of the store draws you in as much as the sweet smell

Most self service bread shops have trays and tongs for you to get the bread without touching it

The Banana cake treats are a big favorite with me

The Banana cake treats are a big favorite with me

so much choice, you need to keep coming back for more

so much choice, you need to keep coming back for more

What’s your favorite bakery on Japan or close to where you live overseas?

11 thoughts on “Cool Summer Bread”

1. xnnc says:

yummy, looks yummy ot me :), and the croissant looks good (I am french, and I know what I am talking about 😀 )

Good reminder. Need to pick up croissant for breakfast 😉

2. TorontoViewer says:

Yum. When we’re in Japan …Andersons bread (french rolls) & snow-cheese ..that’s my breakfast!

3. says:

I love banana cake

RT @Shibuya246: Cool Summer Bread, Japan shopping | Shibuya246 http://bt.io/Bls You sure know how to make a person hungry.
    I don’t have a bakery close to me just a bunch of donut shops, and they close a noon. I usually go to Walmart or Krogers in my neck of the woods. How long do your bakeries stay open?
    I’d go broke if I went to that place, but it would be a happy feeling:)

This one is open until 9pm so plenty of time to get down there in the evening. I find it hard to walk past this shop and not buy anything.

5. Karasu says:

About the bread that comes in “numbered slice” packages… I had a friend that recently came to Shimane to teach, and that was actually the first thing she commented on there as an “oddity”. Is it true that they charge you the same no matter how many slices you pick? Apparently that’s how they do it in the rural neck of the woods. Though I have to admit it’s not that odd. While it may be a cheaper – and less solid – commodity, here in the US frequently shops will charge the same amount for any size of coffee or fountain drink.

A lot of times the amount of bread is the same, just they slice it thick or thin. I like a thick piece of bread if its nice and soft.

6. Daisyalley says:

Wow, I’ll go for the carrot cakes, they look so inviting!

7. Alpha Ralpha says:

From the first time I set foot in one of these bakery stores (in Shinjuku Station) I was in heaven. I love bread, I eat way too much of it. As soon as I saw it I knew I was getting some melon pan.

Funny thing: when we were in the oriental market here in USA last weekend I went to the bread section and was very disappointed to find the melon pan gone. My gf comes up and hands me one and says “I got the last one for you”. ^_^

There is something about melon pan which makes you want to buy one for now and one for later, just in case you get hungry again 😉