Pokemon Shinkansen

Pokemon and Pikachu characters on the front of the Shinkansen

Pokemon characters on the front of the Shinkansen

The Pokemon decorated Shinkansen series was started last year during the summer holiday season and became a popular success with families.

I went down to Tokyo station to have a look at the trains. I was able to get into the station and up on to the Shinkansen platform with just a ‘platform ticket’ 入場券, that only cost YEN 170. That was a cheap way to take a look at the Pokemon train without riding it.

A character hugs the window frame

A character hugs the window frame

Getting ready for the departure. Pikachu rides a watermelon

Getting ready for the departure. Pichu rides a watermelon

All aboard the Pokemon Express for Akita

All aboard the Pokemon Express for Akita

I only had my long lens 70-300mm with me, so it made for some difficult positioning. The platforms generally have gates and barriers to stop people falling into the train tracks which also meant the photos were not just of the train but also the obstacles. It would be nice to photograph the train away from the station maybe.

Looking back along the carriages as the train waits to depart

Looking back along the carriages as the train waits to depart

The front of the train with the Pokemon characters

The front of the train with the Pokemon characters

The Akita Shinkansen, Pokemon characters attached

The Akita Shinkansen, Pokemon characters attached

The rear end of the Shinkansen with more Pokemon characters

The rear end of the Shinkansen with more Pokemon characters

This year the number of trains decorated with the Pokemon characters has increased from 7 to 13. The trains operate on the Tohoku, Joetsu, Akita, Yamagata and Nagano lines until September 23.

Here is some video from YouTube of another Pokemon Shinkansen

video by castcast2 on YouTube

If you are thinking of booking a Pokemon train then it is best to check with JR East what times they will be running. The schedule of their departure/arrival is only released a day before, but it may be possible to specify the train if you are booking a package tour.

More Information

20 thoughts on “Pokemon Shinkansen”

1. Jamaipanese says:

pickachu!@ I choose you!

great pictures…only in Japan 😀

1. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks. Glad you liked it. The themed trains are a lot of fun for all the family, including adults B)

2. Ray says:

Excellent article.

3. AlexNoes says:

Great photos!! Man I can't wait to go, just a few more weeks. Just a note, the pokemon on the watermelon is a pichu not a pikachu.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks for the note. I fixed this up now. Good job you were looking out 🙂

4. RomyHK says:

I miss Japan, they are the only ones able to do that kind of stuff !!

I checked out oinktentacles site and those are some cool looking train designs. The one for the JR Yamanote withthe zipper on it makes you think of how they push everyone in at rush hour times. Wouldn't want to be caught in that zipper. A train that goe to Universal Studios w/spiderman cool. Also the one with Galaxy Express 999 one of my fave animes. Now we need a train with Rilakkuma on it , so the tired salaryman and ladies can relax with the original "Relax Bear". What do you think? Who do you have to talke to about doing this/ Can we start a petition for Rilakkuma?:D
    More great photos as usual. You take some of the best photos around imo.

1. Shibuya246 says:

I have heard of a Rilakkuma Bus at Tachikawa but not a train. That is a good idea. If I get chance I will go down and take the bus. It is about 1 hour away from here

6. Shibuya246 says:

very very true. this just makes it all the better 🙂

7. Shibuya246 says:

Glad you enjoyed. I'll be on the look out for more 😀

8. Shibuya246 says:

When I take some more pictures of trains I will look out for him. 🙂

9. Shibuya246 says:

trying to update the comment system to something that will work a little better. sorry 🙂

10. Arindam Bhattacharya says:

Japan's obsession with everything cute has relapsed in a new dimension. Only and only Japan can make this happen. I sooooo like it ! Wish I had the chance to ride these Shinkanshens… whatever. Thanks @ Shibuya246 for sharing these beauties. You have been as nice as always.

11. sorvani says:

Next time my wife and I go back to visit her parents and we take the shinkansen over to Kobe to visit her brother, I’ll have to see if I can schedule it for one of these character trains.