Kyoto

Jul 14th, 2009

A warm sunny day in Kyoto made a great backdrop to these photos which include some Temples, Kimono, Yukata, and the general peaceful nature of Kyoto. A great place to visit.

The entrance way to Kiyomizudera. The red paint on this structure really stands out on as you can up the hill and first see it

The entrance way to Kiyomizudera. The red paint on this structure really stands out on as you come up the hill and first see it

Peace out Japan. Four ladies out for the day in their Yukata having just toured around the Temple grounds

The inner entrance to the main Temple area. A small fee is required to go past this area, but the view from inside is worth it

Drinking the water is said to bring you luck and good health. In the summer it can get quite crowded as it is a popular area

The roof of the main Temple

The roof of the main Temple

Bright red buckets in case of fire. I'm sure they have other ways of putting out fires as well as these buckets

There are many places to wash your hands at the Temple to cleanse them before praying

The main Kiyomizu-dera stage area.

The main Kiyomizu-dera stage area.

Looking back at the stage from a different angle. You can see the slope on the stage like a theater stage

International tourists mixed in with Japanese tourists wearing yukata. nice mix

International tourists mixed in with Japanese tourists wearing yukata. nice mix

Like a scene from sen to chiharu, the anime movie

Like a scene from sen to chihiro, the anime movie

The grounds of the Temple, built on the side of the mountain are quite natural and have plenty of greenery

A couple out walking through the Temple grounds

A couple out walking through the Temple grounds

wind chimes, the sound of summer

wind chimes (風鈴), the sound of summer

unsure of what this man represents, but he is giving it a good promotion

Entrance to the Ghibili Studio shop

Entrance to the Ghibili Studio shop

Ponyo by the Sea

Ponyo by the Sea

A road marker showing the way to a series of Temples

A road marker showing the way to a series of Temples

old style architecure on display leading up to this Temple

old style architecture on display leading up to this Temple

Gion Corner area

Gion Corner area

New technology with old traditions

New technology with old traditions

Japanese lanterns

Japanese lanterns

Jinrikisha in the Gion area of Kyoto

Jinrikisha in the Gion area of Kyoto

The river passes through the center of the city keeping the atmosphere calm

The river passes through the center of the city keeping the atmosphere calm

47 thoughts on “Kyoto”

1. McAlpine says:

Ditto Kinneyrick. These are some beautiful pics.

2. Shibuya246 says:

Thank you. Appreciate the comments. I am ready for another trip already and I only got back 2 weeks ago :)

1. Creeper Jones says:

These images are just fantastic, I sooooooo wish I could be there, but sadly I can't.

Awesome photos, I want to reach through my screen and be there:) Btw did you take any photos of Kiminoboxs movie making? It seems like you have it all over there. I need to fit in this equation somewhere. When you go back don't forget to take Rilakkuma with you, he'd probably have a great time also.

1. Shibuya246 says:

I have quite a few pictures of http://kimonobox.com 's movie making, yes. Eigamura was a great day out.

2. Shibuya246 says:

3. Shibuya246 says:

4. Ji Nakayama says:

Great pictures. I went there about 10 years ago. I barely remember things around Kyoto. But the pictures make me want to visit there again. Pretty neat!

1. Shibuya246 says:

Good to hear from you. The pictures are drawing me back there as well ;)

5. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks, sakura season is really nice in Kyoto too. I will be posting more Feature Photo articles in the coming weeks in addition to regular posts. :)

6. I LOVE these photos!

I'm not kidding, these are some the best images of Japan that I've seen in some time. I feel like I've been to Kyoto now…

1. Shibuya246 says:

Thank you for your comments here and on http://japansoc.com . It was a really wonderful day out and the walk around Kiyomizudera was so easy. Kyoto is a good place to visit any time.

7. A beautiful set, well done – I'm especially taken with the photo of the older couple walking together through the grounds.

BTW, the chap in white with the kanji on his back is a pilgrim. The red stamps are the seals of the temples he has toured, and the kanji in black says "namu daishi henjo kongo" – which is a homage to Kobo Daishi (Kukai) who founded the Tendai sect of buddhism.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks. I have one from front on. The lady is not so old but the gentleman is ;) . Thanks also for info on Tendai sect buddhism pigrim. Interesting.

8. chia_ling says:

It's beautiful. I never go to kyoto ,so thank you for these photos. ^O^
    hope I can go there someday..

1. Shibuya246 says:

Hope you get a chance to go to Kyoto some time soon

9. billywest says:

Nice photo tour of Kiyomizu.

The guy pulling the rickshaw looks like his job keeps him in great shape. I might need to change jobs for awhile to get back into fighting form.

1. Shibuya246 says:

It was a hot day and I'm sure he has lost a few kilos doing this job. The girls thought it was great that someone wanted their photo. B)

10. mokudekiru says:

gorgeous photos! I love these places :)

1. Shibuya246 says:

Really appreciate the comments. It took a while to get this photo set together, but I enjoy looking back at them again myself. :)

11. reesan says:

Nice job man. I felt like I was there!

1. Shibuya246 says:

good to here. Are you still in Australia?

1. reesan says:

yeah, still in Oz. the GFC is preventing me from returning to the land of the rising sun as rapidly as i was expecting.

12. .tcholas says:

such a good work, man ( : I love this blog and my dream is going to Japan someday. :D Can you follow me at twitter? https://twitter.com/mattcholas Very good work :D

1. Shibuya246 says:

Glad you liked it. I just followed you on Twitter now. :)

13. remino says:

I loved Kiyomizudera when I was there in 2006. I was lost on the way and a nice girl walked with me over there. I'm still in touch with her today.

Thanks for showing those pictures! They are bringing back a lot of memories of my trip to Japan.

1. Shibuya246 says:

The day may be over but the memories linger on for ever. Nice to look back on scenes like this. Thanks :)

14. Numer0bis says:

Really those pictures are just amazing. Unbelieveable set. I would really like to be there right now, looks amazing the place. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful set of pictures with us.

You’re most welcome. This picture set has encouraged me to go visit some more places in Japan and bring back images for everyone

15. Ryan says:

Thanks for these great photos Shibuya, totally ace. I love the higgeldy-piggeldy of Kyoto with it’s quaint little streets and beautiful awe-inspiring temples on the hillside. Looks like you had a cracking time!

1. Shibuya246 says:

The winding streets and mountain setting make it a real treat. thanks

16. jon says:

#15 is on a pilgrimage.

thanks for this info :)

17. Hatenicknames86 says:

Beautiful!I've visited only Tokyo for now…But in future,I'll definitely visit Kyoto too!
    Thanks for pictures!:)

1. Shibuya246 says:

You're welcome. Glad you liked them :)

18. elbarto26 says:

These are really amazing photos!
    I’ve been to Kyoto once. Looking at these photos really makes me want to go there one more time ^^

I am ready for another trip myself ;)

19. Kelly says:

Beautiful photos. They confirm my belief that Kyoto is one of the most photogenic cities in the world.

20. wow!…ponyo dolls is very very cute!…i love it! ;)

21. Helen says:

Stumbled across this courtesy of a link in Twitter. I love these images. Reminds me of my trip there in May with my fiance’. It all seems so surreal now…

As for the gentleman in the white in picture #15, I’ve seen similar markings on books and scrolls for people who try to travel to all of the major temples in Japan. Like stamps on a passport, I suppose. I’m not sure if he’s leading a tour group or maybe he’s on a pilgrimage?
    Thanks for the lovely images of Kiyomizudera. I spent my last day in Kyoto there, and loved ever second if it.

1. Ichiro says:

About picture #15, I agree with Helen. He is wearing a pilgrim vest. The writing on his back says “Namu Daishi Henjo Kongo” which is a mantra for the Shingon Sect, expressing his dedication to the Sect founder Kobo Daishi (Kukai). I think he is on his tour of the 33 Kannon (Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva) temples in the Kinki region (Saigoku Sanjusansho). Kiyomizu-dera is one of them (No. 16).

Thanks for this info. Good of you to share with everyone :)

22. Ray Fujii says:

Lived in Kyoto for two years after a brief vacation the year before. This was in mid 70’s. I fell in love with this city. My memories of hikes in the northern hills and living as a poor student would are forever with me. In my heart it is my home away from home. I am now in Hillsboro, Oregon, about 20 miles east of Portland. The photos, wonderful, wonderful, the images brought back flashbacks. Thank you for catching what you saw and taking me back briefly.

Thanks for your comment. I enjoyed the day out here and myself have enjoyed looking back on the photos many times. Some people say Kyoto is not a photogenic city, but photos of Kyoto always seem to capture the essence of Japan. Always enjoyable to reflect on good memories.

23. Neksus says:

Picture 19, name of the restaurant: “Oblio”, in italian it means “oblivion”.
    The service is either so good it makes you forget the world, or it’s just good advice :)

It’s good to go back to interesting articles, well done again!