Kyoto

A warm sunny day in Kyoto made a great backdrop to these photos which include some Temples, Kimono, Yukata, and the general peaceful nature of Kyoto. A great place to visit.

The entrance way to Kiyomizudera. The red paint on this structure really stands out on as you can up the hill and first see it
The entrance way to Kiyomizudera. The red paint on this structure really stands out on as you come up the hill and first see it
Peace out Japan. Four ladies out for the day in their Yukata having just toured around the Temple grounds
The inner entrance to the main Temple area. A small fee is required to go past this area, but the view from inside is worth it
Drinking the water is said to bring you luck and good health. In the summer it can get quite crowded as it is a popular area
The roof of the main Temple
The roof of the main Temple
Bright red buckets in case of fire. I'm sure they have other ways of putting out fires as well as these buckets
There are many places to wash your hands at the Temple to cleanse them before praying
The main Kiyomizu-dera stage area.
The main Kiyomizu-dera stage area.
Looking back at the stage from a different angle. You can see the slope on the stage like a theater stage
International tourists mixed in with Japanese tourists wearing yukata. nice mix
International tourists mixed in with Japanese tourists wearing yukata. nice mix
Like a scene from sen to chiharu, the anime movie
Like a scene from sen to chihiro, the anime movie
The grounds of the Temple, built on the side of the mountain are quite natural and have plenty of greenery
A couple out walking through the Temple grounds
A couple out walking through the Temple grounds
wind chimes, the sound of summer
wind chimes (風鈴), the sound of summer
unsure of what this man represents, but he is giving it a good promotion
Entrance to the Ghibili Studio shop
Entrance to the Ghibili Studio shop
Ponyo by the Sea
Ponyo by the Sea
A road marker showing the way to a series of Temples
A road marker showing the way to a series of Temples
old style architecure on display leading up to this Temple
old style architecture on display leading up to this Temple
Gion Corner area
Gion Corner area
New technology with old traditions
New technology with old traditions
Japanese lanterns
Japanese lanterns
Jinrikisha in the Gion area of Kyoto
Jinrikisha in the Gion area of Kyoto
The river passes through the center of the city keeping the atmosphere calm
The river passes through the center of the city keeping the atmosphere calm

47 Comments on this Post

1. Ditto Kinneyrick. These are some beautiful pics.

2. Thank you. Appreciate the comments. I am ready for another trip already and I only got back 2 weeks ago :)

• Creeper Jones

These images are just fantastic, I sooooooo wish I could be there, but sadly I can't.

3. Awesome photos, I want to reach through my screen and be there:) Btw did you take any photos of Kiminoboxs movie making? It seems like you have it all over there. I need to fit in this equation somewhere. When you go back don't forget to take Rilakkuma with you, he'd probably have a great time also.

4. Ji Nakayama

Great pictures. I went there about 10 years ago. I barely remember things around Kyoto. But the pictures make me want to visit there again. Pretty neat!

5. Thanks, sakura season is really nice in Kyoto too. I will be posting more Feature Photo articles in the coming weeks in addition to regular posts. :)

6. I LOVE these photos!

I'm not kidding, these are some the best images of Japan that I've seen in some time. I feel like I've been to Kyoto now…

7. A beautiful set, well done – I'm especially taken with the photo of the older couple walking together through the grounds.

BTW, the chap in white with the kanji on his back is a pilgrim. The red stamps are the seals of the temples he has toured, and the kanji in black says "namu daishi henjo kongo" – which is a homage to Kobo Daishi (Kukai) who founded the Tendai sect of buddhism.

• Thanks. I have one from front on. The lady is not so old but the gentleman is ;) . Thanks also for info on Tendai sect buddhism pigrim. Interesting.

8. chia_ling

It's beautiful. I never go to kyoto ,so thank you for these photos. ^O^
    hope I can go there someday..

9. Nice photo tour of Kiyomizu.

The guy pulling the rickshaw looks like his job keeps him in great shape. I might need to change jobs for awhile to get back into fighting form.

• It was a hot day and I'm sure he has lost a few kilos doing this job. The girls thought it was great that someone wanted their photo. B)

10. gorgeous photos! I love these places :)

11. Nice job man. I felt like I was there!

12. such a good work, man ( : I love this blog and my dream is going to Japan someday. :D Can you follow me at twitter? https://twitter.com/mattcholas Very good work :D

13. I loved Kiyomizudera when I was there in 2006. I was lost on the way and a nice girl walked with me over there. I'm still in touch with her today.

Thanks for showing those pictures! They are bringing back a lot of memories of my trip to Japan.

14. Numer0bis

Really those pictures are just amazing. Unbelieveable set. I would really like to be there right now, looks amazing the place. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful set of pictures with us.

• You’re most welcome. This picture set has encouraged me to go visit some more places in Japan and bring back images for everyone

15. Thanks for these great photos Shibuya, totally ace. I love the higgeldy-piggeldy of Kyoto with it’s quaint little streets and beautiful awe-inspiring temples on the hillside. Looks like you had a cracking time!

16. #15 is on a pilgrimage.

17. Hatenicknames86

Beautiful!I've visited only Tokyo for now…But in future,I'll definitely visit Kyoto too!
    Thanks for pictures!:)

18. elbarto26

These are really amazing photos!
    I’ve been to Kyoto once. Looking at these photos really makes me want to go there one more time ^^

19. Beautiful photos. They confirm my belief that Kyoto is one of the most photogenic cities in the world.

20. wow!…ponyo dolls is very very cute!…i love it! ;)

21. Stumbled across this courtesy of a link in Twitter. I love these images. Reminds me of my trip there in May with my fiance’. It all seems so surreal now…

As for the gentleman in the white in picture #15, I’ve seen similar markings on books and scrolls for people who try to travel to all of the major temples in Japan. Like stamps on a passport, I suppose. I’m not sure if he’s leading a tour group or maybe he’s on a pilgrimage?
    Thanks for the lovely images of Kiyomizudera. I spent my last day in Kyoto there, and loved ever second if it.

• About picture #15, I agree with Helen. He is wearing a pilgrim vest. The writing on his back says “Namu Daishi Henjo Kongo” which is a mantra for the Shingon Sect, expressing his dedication to the Sect founder Kobo Daishi (Kukai). I think he is on his tour of the 33 Kannon (Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva) temples in the Kinki region (Saigoku Sanjusansho). Kiyomizu-dera is one of them (No. 16).

22. Ray Fujii

Lived in Kyoto for two years after a brief vacation the year before. This was in mid 70’s. I fell in love with this city. My memories of hikes in the northern hills and living as a poor student would are forever with me. In my heart it is my home away from home. I am now in Hillsboro, Oregon, about 20 miles east of Portland. The photos, wonderful, wonderful, the images brought back flashbacks. Thank you for catching what you saw and taking me back briefly.

• Thanks for your comment. I enjoyed the day out here and myself have enjoyed looking back on the photos many times. Some people say Kyoto is not a photogenic city, but photos of Kyoto always seem to capture the essence of Japan. Always enjoyable to reflect on good memories.

23. Neksus

Picture 19, name of the restaurant: “Oblio”, in italian it means “oblivion”.
    The service is either so good it makes you forget the world, or it’s just good advice :)

It’s good to go back to interesting articles, well done again!

1. […] the 5:30pm we leaved Kiyomizu-dera and (again on foot) we returned in the JR Central Station zone to try the panorama of Kyoto Tower […]