Yatsuhashi

Mikan (orange) flavored yatsuhashi. mmmmmmmmm. nice!!

Mikan (orange) flavored yatsuhashi. mmmmmmmmm. nice!!

Yatsuhashi is a Japanese desert sweet. It is particularly well known as a product of Kyoto and can be bought at many of the tourist stores around the Temples.

Yatsuhashi is made from rice flour and sugar and has a soft, mochi-like texture. You can find many different flavors of Yatsuhashi, which are created by adding a filling inside the mochi.

The guy above was handing out samples of the orange, mikan, flavored yatsuhashi. Really tasty.

More people stopping for a taste test

More people stopping for a taste test

This guy is staring down the Yatsuhashi poster

This guy is staring down the Yatsuhashi poster

There are always some great signs in Japan. You can figure out easily enough what they mean, usually, but it always give you a bit if a laugh when you first see them. This one at the Yatsuhashi and Ice-cream counter was really nice. No leftovers in the street please!

No leftovers to be thrown in the street

No leftovers to be thrown in the street

10 thoughts on “Yatsuhashi”

1. Numer0bis says:

looks very delicious. I really like to taste it someday

Yum Yum!:D Those look like little dumplings with sweet fillings. Free samples are always the best, and another Japanese sign telling you what not to do. That also looks like where KiminoBox got her sesame flavored icecream. That was a strange color for ice cream. As usual more great photos,really am looking forward to all the others you and KiminoBox took. Will have to check hers also.
    Happy 4th of July,
    mata ne

1. Shibuya246 says:

Yes, this is the place where the goma icecream came from. Nice spotting there πŸ˜‰

3. Alison says:

Yatsuhashi was my favorite sweet when visiting Japan last fall. I tried to make it at home once, but the azuki paste I bought wasn't of great quality. Will have to make it all from scratch next time I try it.

1. Shibuya246 says:

home made yatsuhashi. thats sounds a good idea too πŸ™‚

4. ToyDemon says:

I liked the sakura ones a lot in Kyoto back in March

1. Shibuya246 says:

I would like to have a sakura one right now. I'm starting to miss kyoto