Yukata, Kimono in Kyoto

This was a classic Fuji film moment

This was a classic Fuji film moment

The photos I took in Kyoto are going to take quite a bit of sorting out. Whilst I am still on the laptop and with the memory cards filling up quickly, I’ll share a few of the photos as best I can over the next few days. Once I get back to Tokyo I can sort them out better and give a full update.

These ladies enjoying the tour for the day. Great way to visit Kiyomizidera

These ladies enjoying the tour for the day. Great way to visit Kiyomizidera

With the weather turning very nice in Kyoto, rather than the forecast rain, we went to Kiyomizudera 清水寺 to enjoy the fine view, the temple and the tourist shops that cater to both the Japanese domestic tourists as well as the many international visitors.

Today’s selection of photos are themed on the many girls who were wearing yukata and kimono around the Kiyomizudera area when we visited.

Kimonobox on left gets in the act with 2 friendly girls

Kimonobox on left gets in on the act with 2 friendly girls

Showing off the obi of these ladies yukata as they get their tour explained

Showing off the obi of these ladies yukata as they get their tour explained

It's hot work for everyone behind and in front of the cameras

It's hot work for everyone behind and in front of the cameras

Most of the girls, ladies were very obliging and more than willing to have their photo taken. There were a lot of school children around as well who wanted to ask questions and take photos.

This gentleman out for a stroll with his well dressed lady

This gentleman out for a stroll with his well dressed lady

Like a scene from a movie as these 2 walked off into the distance

Like a scene from a movie as these 2 walked off into the distance

This next lady I spotted when I was inside a store. I came out and asked whether she would mind some photos. She was delighted to have some taken.

Great colors in this kimono

Great colors in this kimono

great Kyoto scene. textbook stuff

great Kyoto scene. textbook stuff

As she wanders off, a reminder that its just another day in beautiful Kyoto

As she wanders off, a reminder that its just another day in beautiful Kyoto

@Kimonobox hadn’t been back to Kiyomizudera since her first visit over 20 years ago, so she was keen to jump into a few photos with new made friends.

3 very pretty girls posing with a happy @kimonobox

3 very pretty girls posing with a happy @kimonobox

Thanks girls. See you next time

Thanks girls. See you next time

As we walked back down past Koudaiji, Yasaka-jinja and through Gion before getting to back to the hotel, we passed these ladies in Gion Corner. They were not dressed up for an outing, these are their work clothes. Understandably, they were not quite as keen to have photos taken.

dropping off hand written letters for customers

dropping off hand written letters for customers

Just a casual walk to work

Just a casual walk to work

This was a great day at Kiyomizudera with so many super sites. I have about 500 photos from this day alone and am keen to share them all with you. Once back in Tokyo I promise to post more about this day and the rest of the trip. By the time the trip is over the photo count might get as high as 2,000 !! Stand by.

magan says:

We have been travelling through Japan independently for month and half. I took many photos to make sure I bring back memories of beauty, excitement, magic and mystery and of meeting Japanese people. After seeing your photos I have to say you captured it all. You are true artist. But most of all, your wonderment and love shines through. Thank you for sharing your talent.

xine says:

Another reason to visit Japan, beautiful Kyoto. Love the pictures. Great job!

Shibuya246 says:

Thanks. Glad you liked the pictures. :)

Jay says:

Terrific photos! Seems like it wasn't so long since I was there but really makes me wanna go back. Thanks for sharing!:D

Shibuya246 says:

Thanks. Really enjoyed this trip and taking the photos

What sort of job is that? Are they mailwomen? I've never seen that before!

Shibuya246 says:

They are most likely maiko (geisha in training) or junior geisha. Whilst they generally perform their music or dancing in the evening, during the day they will either practice or be sent out to visit potential customers to help improve business. :)

Oh! Thnx for replying :D

whipcracker says:

You've got your work cut out for you when you get back. just a few observations but in the first picture girl third from the left doesn't look Japanese her complexion is lighter,the yukatas really makes them look more comfortable. Hand written letters,surely that's not mail delivery?lol o.0 Kimonobox looks like she is having a great time also, I have here on my RSS feed page I'll have to check her's out also. The photo of the couple in the park that you took reminds me of the song by Little River Band "Reminissing" Btw any conbinis in Kyoto?
Look forward to the rest of the great photos very soon, don't run out of memory cards!B)
Have fun

Shibuya246 says:

Thanks. KimonoBox will be pleased :). They looked a lot cooler in Yukata than I did in Western clothes.
There are heaps of conbini's in Kyoto. Many of the same products as Tokyo though.

nyhunter says:

Wow, great pictures and looks like a beautiful day!

Shibuya246 says:

Thanks for dropping by. Hope to hear from you again soon. :)

dr.bear says:

sugoi….o.o
i really want to see kyoto in my whole two naked eyes personally… i want to be there someday.. really…
hope so…^-^

the yukatas were great… especially the light blue flowery one in -3 very pretty girls posing with a happy @kimonobox-
kawaii..!! <(^~^<)(>^~^)>
^~^ i usually want to have kimonos and wearing it..but its better for me not too…
it will just end up making me look like a pathetic small girl if i do it here in our country…^-^

->dr.bear(>^^)v

Shibuya246 says:

I hope you get to see Kyoto soon :)

Pau says:

Kyoto is my favorite city in the world. Always remember fondly the walks along Gion or its beautiful temples.

Indeed, some very beautiful and evocative photos.

A greeting from Spain.

Shibuya246 says:

Nice to hear from Spain. Thanks for your comments. Kyoto is very beautiful, particularly on a nice sunny day.

remino says:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the girls pictured here wearing summer yukata rather than kimono?

shibuya246 says:

Most of them are Yukata. Wearing a kimono takes a lot more preparation and care than a Yukata. Also, the walk up to Kiyomizudera is not really suited to full kimono. The Yukata are nice and light for the summer months.

shibuya246 says:

Wish I could have stayed to see Gion Matsuri. I remember going to it years ago and it was great. Enjoy :)