Conbini Monday Wk10

Nice selection of sodas for this weeks conbini monday

Nice selection of sodas for this weeks conbini monday

I played golf in Ibaraki-ken last week and stopped at a Sankus convenience store in the parking area at Ishioka. It was a hot day and most people were either crowding around the ice creams or the cold drinks.

Here are some of the offerings from the cold drink section, mostly sodas, or should I say ciders. As you can see this summer looks like a hot contest between Pepsi, Coke, Calpis, Mitsuya and Asahi Coke?

First up we have Dr Pepper. This drink has not gone mainstream yet in Japan and I was surprised to see it competing for shelf space with the other ‘usual suspects’. The package design looks new as well.

Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

There has been a lot of talk about the new Green Tea flavored Coca Cola drink. The bottle promotes the catechin infused drink which is supposed to be good for you?

Green Tea Coca Cola

Green Tea Coca Cola

Where there is Coca Cola, there is Pepsi. This is no doubt in reply to the green tea brainstorming at coke. Someone at pepsi decided to add the flavor of a Shiso leaf to their drink to spice it up.

Pepsi Shiso

Pepsi Shiso

While we are on the coke theme, here is Asahi and Sankus’s own PB label for coke. Not sure how many of these they are going to sell against the Green Tea Coke and Shiso Pepsi. Maybe they are hoping that people still want the original taste but made someone else.

looks like I am reflected in the Asahi bottle image

looks like I am reflected in the Asahi bottle image

All of the photos this week were taking with my iphone rather than the normal Canon Powershot G10. I wasn’t planning to take photos in this conbini but their range was so great I decided to take shots and the iphone was all I had available. As you can the quality of some pictures is not so great, including this next one.

Mitsuya Cider, my favorite. Out of focus, but not out of the running

Mitsuya Cider, my favorite. Out of focus, but not out of the running

sales figures are good for this ALL ZERO Mitsuya Cider

sales figures are good for this ALL ZERO Mitsuya Cider

Changing tastes a bit now, here is some Grape Fanta

Grape Fanta

Grape Fanta

Calpis aren’t being left behind. They have Calpis Soda on hand for a hot thirsty summer day.

Calpis Soda

Calpis Soda

If plain water is more your thing, here is some Fm yokohama / Circle K joint collaboration, Shonan Water.

Shonan Water

Shonan Water

and last but not least, some Kurozu-ryoku from Suntory under the same brand that makes DAKARA, Life Partners. This drink is made from black vinegar, honey and lemon. This one could be just the find for summer to revive your energy !

Kurozu-ryoku from Suntory

Kurozu-ryoku from Suntory

That’s the round up for the drinks. In case some of you are left a bit hungry after seeing all the liquids, here are some new finds to eat.

I introduced the BIZ cookie range previously from Morinaga. This week I found their latest edition to the range, Azuki puff Biz. Red bean mized with macha chocolate and cornflakes. That’s a lot to put in a small cookie.

Azuki Biz puffs

Azuki Biz puffs

Explanation of the various parts of the cookie

Explanation of the various parts of the cookie

Thanks to Sunkus convenience store at Chiyoda Parking Area for this weeks Conbini Monday.

Chiyoda P.A. conbini

Chiyoda P.A. conbini

18 thoughts on “Conbini Monday Wk10”

1. Yoj says:

Dr. Pepper! I miss Dr. Pepper…and Fanta too! <3

2. Kirsty_girl says:

Great post! I had a friend over from the states and he loved Pepsi Shiso.

This is a great guide for tourists.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks for dropping by. Glad you liked it šŸ™‚

Didn't i just mention something about Dr. Pepper the other day?lol:) Low and behold you found it coincedience? What is that picture on the label? sure looks interesting. Wouldn't mind trying 1 of each of those drinks there in that case so jealous darn, even those cookies yum cookie monster.lol Also i wouldn't have noticed your reflection in that bottle without you mentioning it. I could keep going on and on.
    Till next time
    see ya

1. Shibuya246 says:

When I saw the Dr Pepper in this conbini i immediately thought about your comment. good hint. thanks šŸ™‚

4. Jomann says:

your face is in the bottles reflection bro

1. Shibuya246 says:

yes, it sure is. me and my golfing buddy šŸ™‚

5. I wanna try Mitsuya Cider, I'm always up for something new.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Mitsuya Cider is worth a try. Not a gimmick drink. Its the real deal. been around since 1884.

6. Orchid64 says:

I recently tried out the Pepsi Shiso and it's pretty terrible. The green tea Coke was shoulder-shruggingly unimpressive, but the Pepsi was awful. I'm not sure if it's better to be so-so or memorably bad. šŸ˜‰

1. Shibuya246 says:

There are many different opinions of these drinks. My favorite is still the basic Mitsuya Cider chilled cold.

7. If you ask me, thre is nothing more refreshing than green ice tea. No bubbles!

1. Shibuya246 says:

Indeed, why mess with perfection. šŸ™‚

8. Nick says:

What about Ramune?

I bought a bottle from the Japan Center in London, because the bottle intruiged me. I managed to leave it in my bag all day, so when I drank it, it was pretty warm. Didn't taste great, probably due to the warmth.

Got another bottle though, in the fridge ready to be drunk on a warm day.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Ramune is a great drink cold, but I don't think I could drink it warm. šŸ™‚

9. dorie says:

sankus a nice convenient store how i miss it

10. Tristan says:

Got excited there for a minute..thought the fanta grape drink was their jelly shake drink!!! (love that stuff….wish I could get it here!)