Gundam Odaiba

Hope he doesnt come to life

With the eyes lit up, this was an imposing site

With the eyes lit up, this was an imposing site

I had heard that the Gundam model was almost finished and had some requests for photos, so thought I would go out today and see what was going on at Shiokaze Park in Odaiba.

Gundam construction almost complete

Gundam construction almost complete

It looks like most of the construction is finished and today some media photographers were getting a few closeups courtesy of the crane.

Lucky guys in the crane getting very close

Lucky guys in the crane getting very close

Hope he doesn't come to life!

Hope he doesn't come to life!

From this angle, Gundam looks like its ready to take off

From this angle, Gundam looks like its ready to take off

You feel pretty small when you are standing right beneath it

You feel pretty small when you are standing right beneath it

Looks like the Tokyo2016 Olympics is one of the sponsors. I wonder which event is Gundam entered in?

Tokyo2016

Tokyo2016

Looks like Gundam might be entered in the Beach Volleyball

Looks like Gundam might be entered in the Beach Volleyball

Got some shots of the back and sides

Got some shots of the side

... and from behind

... and from behind

Even thought its not officialy opened yet there were plenty of people, all taking photos

Even though its not officially opened yet there were plenty of people, all taking photos

This is my favorite picture. Looks like The Nikko hotel is in danger!

This is my favorite picture. Looks like The Nikko hotel is in danger!

More Information

27 thoughts on “Gundam Odaiba”

1. Nick says:

Surely it's not permanent, is it?

1. Shibuya246 says:

unfortunately not. They are going to disassemble it in August. seems a waste

1. aokajiya says:

I'm sure it will find a more permanent home elsewhere. The Bandai museum, if nowhere else. A giant Gundam protecting the streets of Akihabara would be most appropriate, though.

I haven't seen it posted on the national news over here yet. I bet Rilakkuma would have liked getting his picture taken with the Gundam. It's a shame that it'll be taken down in aug. What is the official cost for that type of strutcure anyway? It would seem like a total waste of money to take it down. Maybe they could move it to Akihabara where it would be more significant being the Otaku culture center.
    While perusing the news i found this about a skatebording dog in Japan http://l.yimg.com/gh/cms/jun2009/skateboard1_1244… this via fox news
    till next time

till next time

4. Shibuya246 says:

Akihabara would be a great place for it 🙂

5. freedomwv says:

The last photo is the best one. Looks almost like the TV show.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Yes, I didnt realise when I took it, but when i saw it on my computer screen on checking the photos, it looked great. I almost forgot I had taken this. Took it right at the end as an after shot.

6. Danny Choo says:

Great photos! I see they lit up the eyes.

1. Shibuya246 says:

Seeing the eyes lit gave it a further sense of realism. 🙂

7. DannyChoo says:

[polldaddy 1700314 http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/1700314/ polldaddy]
    You dont mind if I test this poll thingy do you ^^;

1. DannyChoo says:

And look forward to seeing you again at CGM Night this Monday.

2. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks Danny. Not a problem. The poll thingy is a neat feature, but overall intense debate suffers from a number of shortfalls. I keep planning to replace it, but haven't yet.

8. yo your site is hot and this post is crazy lol i iwsh i had a park by me that had gundom's in it this is crazy

9. Shibuya246 says:

Thanks. Appreciate your warm comments

10. Ryan says:

Thanks for a great post, Shibuya, this was a really great post. He looks immediately imposing and overpowering, like he's going to destroy the entire city!

1. Shibuya246 says:

thanks. It was great to go down and see this live

11. Stéfan says:

Too bad it's not permanent !

12. ToyDemon says:

Too bad I didn't get a chance to see it before I left Japan, I lived close by in Koto-ku.

1. Shibuya246 says:

pity. maybe they will move it somewhere permanent and you will get a chance in the future 🙂

13. Alan says:

De quoi s'agit il exactement?

14. sixmats says:

I wish they would do something like this in Sendai. It might boost tourism!

1. Shibuya246 says:

It would be a great boost for tourism. every place should get a character, then people can go around all the places in Japan and collect passport stamps for visiting 🙂